Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Ravsten Woodruff Harris

Ravsten's Birth story

I was scheduled to be induced on Friday, March 16. I was so nervous and a mix of emotion the day before. I had a hard time going to sleep the night before and woke up early on Friday hoping my phone would ring. I was told that they would call me a half hour before I needed to be there. I got up and showered and was in the middle of blowing my hair when my phone rang. We hurried and finished getting ready my sister came and picked up Lexi and Tip and I headed to the hospital. It was so weird showing up ready to have a baby. The got me in a room at 830 started my IV and checked me and to my surprise I was already dilated to almost a 4.  My doctor came and broke my water at 9. The started my pitocin and I was really feeling good. Tip and I just sat there laughing and talking about how surreal it was to be there. I started to feel the contractions quite strong and intense pretty fast. So at around 11 I received my epidural. It was the BEST! I could still move my legs but I was in no pain! My family brought Lexi in after one for a visit. She was having a great time at the park and with her cousins. I could tell she was tired so at after 2 I told them to go drive around and let her nap. I was only dilated to a 7 at the time so I was sure I had time. So they left. About 20 minutes later I told Tip I was feeling some pressure. So we went and got my nurse. I apologised because she had just checked me and I was only a 7 but she said she didn't mind and lifted the sheet and said oh there's his head don't push. Not only was a I fully dilated, he was crowning. They quickly called my doc and Tip called my mom and sister and told them to hurry back. My doc showed up and my mom and Jami right behind him. I started pushing and struggled getting his head out. After 20 minutes or so at 326 pm my little guy was born. Right when he came out we knew he was big. Everyone before he was born was guessing 8 lbs or so, but after he was born one of the nurses picked him up and guessed 9 pounds 2 ounces. Sure enough that's exactly what he weighed and was 21 3/4 inches long! He is one big guy full of rolls on his arms and legs. He has LONG fingers and LONG toes. He has dark hair and olive skin with a little round head. He has Tips nose and brow. He doesn't look like Lexi at all. We fell in love immediately. He is So cute and fun! He is 2 pounds and 4 inches bigger then Lexi was. I am feeling it! I knew he was going to be big but I didn't know that big. I sure love him!  They brought Lexi as soon as we were both cleaned up. She was really hesitant at first. There were so many people in there I think she was just overwhelmed. I gave her a new baby right then so we both could have new babies. She loved the doll! After a while everyone left and they gave him a bath and I ate (I was starving). He nursed right away and did great. Because he was Large for Gestational Age they had to check his blood sugar. It came back on the boarder so we continued checking it every 3 hours for the next 12 hours. Luckily he passed every sugar test!

Words cannot describe how much love I have for this little guy. It amazes me how quickly you can fall in love with your babies. I know that Rav was meant to come to us at this time.I stare at him in amazement that he is part of us. I still can believe that he grew inside of me. I still can't figure out how he fit inside honestly! Child birth is such a spiritual experience to me. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father trusted me with 2 precious spirits! I am so in love with this baby boy!

Here is an overload of pictures...I'll post another post of Lexi getting to hold him and our days at the hospital.
















































6 comments:

Clint, Brielle, Molly and Maggie said...

Love it, thanks for letting me come snuggle him in the hospital, when all your peeps leave text me and we can hang or I can take lex for a bit!

Harris Family said...

Pic overload? Hardly!!!! Remember you blog for Jeff and I ;) love all the pics. I've stared at them 5 different times. Wish I was there for you guys!!! Love you so much.

The Jackson Three said...

What a beautiful post! Love hearing the story. He is so cute and you just look so happy and beautiful as always!!! So glad that Lexi is happy to have a baby bro! She'll be such a good sister, I'm sure!

The Ravsten's said...

Congrats. HE's adorable. Love him!

SheriDawn said...

Congratulations Nikki! He's adorable. And you look awesome by the way!

The Flakes said...

I loved reading your post! It sounds like the labor and delivery went really fast and went great!!!! I love your pictures too, he is one handsome little guy!!! You look great too!!! Happy new baby boy! Miss you!!!